Our primary activity is one open studio weekend per year (second weekend of October), with an opening show at a central location. We also participate in various local artistic activities and hold group shows at venues such as the Riverside Hotel, VaC, the BSU SUB gallery and Surel’s Place.
BOSCO currently consists of more than 90 artists working in a wide variety of media and styles, who have studios in the greater Boise metro area (Ada, Boise & Canyon counties).
How to apply for membership
Applications for membership are CLOSED for 2019. The application window is Jan. 1 - Mar. 31 each year.
When the application window is open, applicants need to check back here for details on how to apply. In the meantime, you can gather the following items that are required for your application:
1. Five to ten images of your best work created within the last 3 years
- (2000 pixels on the longest side, 300 dpi, JPG images)
- File named as: title_medium_dimensions_year created (example: ravenflies_mixedmedia_12x12_2015)
- Do not include your name in the filenames as we jury blind
2. Image list with thumbnails, title, medium, size, and year of work. Photo credits if applicable.
3. An up-to-date Artist’s Resume – one page (.doc or .txt file)
4. An artist’s statement – 200 words or less (.doc or .txt file)
5. Completed application (Down Load Membership Application here)
6. Pay non-refundable NEW MEMBER APPLICATION FEE $25.
Accepted applicants will be notified by May 1st with membership fees due on June 1st.
BOSCO uses an independent outside juror. Items a juror may consider in evaluating work:
• Evidence of technical skill and control in the use of media
• Creative use of formal design elements (pattern, color, rhythm, texture, line, light and dark, etc.)
• Overall unity in the work, consistency of purpose and technique
• Individuality of expression, uniqueness
$100 annual fee
Participating members are eligible to participate in the annual Open Studios weekend and all the exhibits throughout the year, welcome to all events, remain on the distribution list, website, and maintain juried membership and voting rights.
$50 annual fee
Supporting members do not participate in the annual Open Studios weekend, but are welcome to all other events, remain on the distribution list, website, and maintain juried membership and voting rights.
$40 annual fee
Student membership is only available to currently registered full-time students or current year spring graduates. Must provide a copy of current semester’s 12-credit class schedule. This membership level receives the same benefits as Participating Members.
Annual fee is waived
This category is designed for those individuals with little or no prior experience exhibiting their artwork. Those applying in this category must abide by the same rules and application process (including application fee) as those applying in other categories. We will accept up to 2 artists in this category per year and the scholarship will cover the membership fee for that year. In return, each recipient will be asked to complete at least 10 hours of volunteer work serving on a BOSCO committee.
Shared Studio Membership
A Shared Studio membership is available to two or more artists who make their work at the same physical location. Each artist must apply, jury in, and be accepted individually.